Capstone Reveals Librarian Photo Contest Winners
Librarians To Be Featured in 2018 Calendar
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – May 18, 2017 – Capstone, a leading publisher of children’s books and digital products and services, announces the winners of “The Power of Librarians” national photo contest. The winning photos and stories will be showcased in a special edition 2018 calendar available in August at select Capstone events and for purchase with Capstone Rewards points.
Celebrating the importance of librarians, the contest invited communities to nominate a school or public library media specialist who makes meaningful connections with students, describe why they should be featured in the calendar, and share a photo which captured the spirit of the librarian’s talent or ability. From among hundreds of nominations, thirteen extraordinary librarians were selected as winners and they are:
· Amy Marquez (Marcia R. Garza Elementary School in Alamo, TX)
· Anne Mlod (Genesee Elementary School in Auburn, NY)
· Brian Ashley (Alonzo A. Crim Open Campus High School in Atlanta, GA)
· Chelsea Brantley (Nags Head Elementary School in Nags Head, NC)
· Cicely Lewis (Meadowcreek High School in Norcross, GA)
· Donna Ohlgren (Rush Creek Elementary School in Maple Grove, MN)
· Holly Caputi (Tiger Creek Media Center in Tunnel Hill, GA)
· Jane Farrell (Dallastown Area Intermediate School in York, PA)
· Kim Katz (Moore Elementary School in Houston, TX)
· Nawal Noel Miller (Old Mill Middle School North in Millersville, MD)
· Sue Norman (Foley Middle School in Foley, AL)
· Tatanisha "Tiki" Love (Windsor Mill Middle School in Windsor Mill, MD)
· Tom Honz (Centennial High School in Ankeny, IA)
“One common theme we learned about all of the winning librarians is how each makes their library the ‘go-to’ place and heart of their school for all students. From championing reading to securing funding through grants to creating innovative makerspace areas, each of these super hero librarians are doing exceptional work for students. Their passion for their profession is inspiring and we’re thrilled to feature them in our calendar,” said Matt Keller, Capstone Chief Marketing Officer.
“I’m proud to be a recognized as a Powerful Librarian! My power is charged by my fantastic students and the great school I have the privilege to serve,” said winning librarian Jane Farrell, M.L.I.S.
Capstone is a leading publisher of children’s books, digital solutions and services, literacy programs, and K–12 professional development resources. Capstone creates content in a variety of print, digital and media formats for school libraries, classrooms, and at home reading. For more information, visit www.myCapstone.com.